Monday, April 6, 2009

Oak Leaf - Cabernet Sauvignon @@@@ (4 corks)

Retails : $2.97 (Wal-Mart)

This is probably one of the cheapest wines I have ever purchased and one of the most surprising cheap-wine buys! I remember about 3 years ago, Barefoot was one of the cheapest brands you could buy at most major grocery stores, retailing for under $6 on average. Now, with its gained popularity due to its cheap price, it has risen in price to about $8 on average. I'm almost convinced this is the case with Oak Leaf.

For a wine priced at basement prices, Oak Leaf is a hearty. My father, quite the wine enthusiast, enjoyed a glass with me over dinner and was astounded at this flavorful varietal with an unbelievable price. I'm less enthusiastic about other varietals that this brand makes. The cabernet, however, is a great every-day kind of red. Very drinkable, slight dryness in the finish, but overall it’s every bit as tasty as its higher-priced brothers. When you break it down, that's about 75 cents a GLASS!

Final Word: Cheap in price, but not cheap in taste!

0 comments: