Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Obviously - Argentina Malbec @@@ (3 corks)

Retails: $4.00 (Wal-Mart)

Good wine lurks in the most uncommon of places. You don't need to go to an expensive wine boutique to get something unique and unexpected.

I was doing my usual grocery shopping at Wal-Mart --- in this economy it's cheap and it happens to be right around the corner from my condo complex --- and I just happened upon this Malbec.

I'm a sucker for good advertising. I'm often caught buying a bottle because it has a good label or a clever name --- in this case, the name struck me...I've been told I'm somewhat of a smart ass. I thought, "what the hell, I might as well give it a shot." Malbec's aren't a common wine found at most Wal-Marts anyhow, so the novelty was intriguing as well.

To my surprise, it's not half bad! Hidden beneath the smirky title is actually a pretty decent wine. (As you may recall from a previous blog, Malbec is quickly becoming the unofficial "wine of Argentina")

Good, smooth taste with a kick of dryness in the finish. I'm tasting some rich blackberry flavor, the finish is delightfully dry with the essence of tannins, but not overpowering. The only part I don't like is the slightly sour aftertaste, but it's not overwhelming. It's a very drinkable red wine that holds up well against a hearty meal (we had parmesan encrusted chicken and rice with cheese). I wouldn't serve it at a dinner party, but, if you're looking for a cheap, every-day kind of red, this is a good find.

Final Word: Again, not a stellar Malbec but drinkable for sure!

0 comments: