Saturday, September 26, 2009

Anakena - Sauvignon Blanc 2008 @@@ (3 corks)


Retails: $7.99 (Total Wine)



This perky little number is a surprising find. In general, everyone should take my cork-ratings for white wines with a grain of salt--most of you out there know I'm pretty keen on reds and a little critical of whites. I think most white wine drinkers would enjoy Anakena's Sauvignon Blanc.

This bottle comes to us from Valle Central in Chile. A luminescent champagne color fills your glass, it's a truly beautiful wine to behold and looks equally stunning in a simple white wine glass. As far as wine vessels are concerned, I'm a purist and prefer simple wine glasses with clean lines, as opposed to crystal or something extravagant. I have a friend who bought me a set from Target (another weakness of mine) that I adore--they don't need to be expensive. Especially in my household where my live-in boyfriend has a tendency to break at least one dish per month. For those of you unfamiliar with the "proper" glass for each wine, the general rules are: the fat, rounder glasses are for reds, this allows them to be slightly warmed by your hand. The taller, narrower glasses are for whites which need to maintain a cool temperature, away from your hand. I believe, so long as the wine looks appetizing and elegant, rules can be broken :)

Upon first taste, you'll notice a slight effervescence furthering the champagne-like qualities. The flavor is very subtle but sweet--apples, apricots and honey are the defining notes. This wine is easily overpowered by other flavors so be careful with what you pair it with. I'm slowly discovering what I like in white wines and this one can definitely be appreciated for its delicate bouquet.

0 comments: