Sunday, May 16, 2010

Grão Vasco - Dão 2007 @@@@ (4 corks)


Retails: $8.97 (Total Wine)

Portuguese is the sexiest language on earth. With my background in French, I can't make heads or tails of what they're saying but damn, it sounds good. On some occasions, my team and I have produced videos translated into Portuguese. Our voice over artist, who is located in Brazil and enjoys sending me drunken emails during Carnival time (which apparently happens more than once per year), had the most incredible sounding Portuguese voice. It seems that the native timbre and rhythm of the language can make absolutely anything sound exquisite, even something as sterile sounding as business meetings in Orlando (just an example).

This wine is as seductive as a Portuguese voice over. I can't quite figure out what the grape could be but the blood red color, bold fragrance and lilting flavor that seems to dance across my palate keeps making me gravitate towards my glass. This is a man's wine. The intoxicating aroma is almost like a cologne. It man-handles your taste buds into submission with a powerful earthy flavor that fades into a tart cherry essence momentarily before leaving your tongue desert-dry.

There's something mysterious about this wine. If you're the kind of drinker who enjoys a bold red, you absolutely must try Grão Vasco. Apparently "Dão" is a region in Portugal known for its red wines. Although, my research has suggested that this region typically produces mild reds, this one is absolutely the opposite. I've had some success with Portuguese wines in the past but this one might take the cake. Enjoy!

0 comments: