Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Gumdale - Shiraz @@@@ (4 corks)

Retails: $8.99 (Total Wine)

The divorce became final last Tuesday and I couldn't be more relieved. Despite some (predictable) drama from the ex in the courtroom (door slammed in face, are we surprised?) the proceeding was over within 5 minutes. I wish I could say I immediately felt as if I had returned to a normal life, but I'm still adjusting. I am fine, better than fine, I am strong, stronger than I ever thought I was. But still, there's an enormous amount of adjustment.
Curious though, you'd think in this day and age, the novelty of a women's filing for divorce from her husband wouldn't be met with such absolute shock. Even the judge assumed that he must have filed, a quizzical look traced his face when my ex piped up that "No! This was her decision!" And even after that awkwardness was settled, there was still the consoling "oh, you elected to handle finances outside of court, was the outcome agreeable for you?" Agreeable for me? As the higher earner shouldn't you be asking that of him? But sure, you're right, it's safe to assume that I would be the one navigating dire financial straights after a divorce, what with being a woman and all. Of COURSE I would be a) destitute or b) money hungry enough to demand a financial settlement from my ex. OK... I realize I am probably reading too much into things but it's hard to ignore the undertones of patriarchal surprise when one discovers that not only did I file and pay for the whole darn circus but I also had the bright idea of obtaining a prenup. Awesome high-fives aside, there's something still wrong with the fact that more women aren't taking this kind of control over their (financial) destinies.
One of the first lessons I learned in my Women of Financial Independence seminar at Smith was to a) begin contributing towards retirement as soon as you're employed and b) never let go of 100% of your finances in marriage, you have earned this money and you are entitled to keep some of it and in fact, it's advisable to do so for this and other reasons (widowhood, independence, sanity). Not just women, men, too, should take this into consideration. A marriage is pure devotion, absolutely, but was a wise friend once said --- it should be 1+1 makes 3, individually you are awesome people and you come together to create an awesome unity of people. Why shouldn't you maintain some independence? What's wrong with that? Isn't your independent self what the other person found attractive initially anyhow?
Alright, getting off my high-horse now, let's talk wine. Gumdale's selection of wines have yet to truly disappoint. They are exceptionally priced and usually deliver a predictably solid bottle of wine. This shiraz is no exception. Full-bodied, it packs a complex variety of flavors---loads of berry and cherry with hints of chocolate. Very little dryness which allows for it to be easily drinkable to a multitude of wine drinkers. I could easily see this being a good option as the red for a dinner party.
Enjoy. Contemplate. Above all, rejoice in your identity of self --- I'm now starting to rediscover my own.

0 comments: