Thursday, July 2, 2009

Madria Sangria @@@@ (4 corks)

Retails: $7.99 (Winn Dixie)

OK, so this isn't technically a wine but it is made of wine...and it's mighty delicious on a hot day in Florida, if I do say so myself. Given that it's about 96 degrees outside and 100% humidity, drinking red wine in this weather will give me hot flashes--not that I'm anywhere close to menopause. So, as a brief departure from more commonly found entries, I'm reviewing bottled sangria.

Sangria was the first alcoholic beverage I ever liked. Granted, the first time I had it, it was freshly made--dry Spanish red wine with fresh fruit, seltzer and a splash of brandy. For those of you out there who have never experienced a good sangria, I suggest you hit up your local Spanish tapas restaurant--- some of my favorites locally include : http://www.ceviche.com/ and http://www.columbiarestaurant.com/. Waiters will actually make a pitcher right at your table at both restaurants--Columbia uses Sangre de Torro Spanish red wine, yum! They are both located throughout Florida so, if you happen to be visiting, it's definitely worth a visit. Ceviches in Sarasota, Florida has an awesome rooftop bar and a flamenco dance hall. The Columbia is a Florida tradition, the original in Ybor City (Cuban neighborhood outside Tampa) began at the turn of the century!

There are many bottled varieties of Sangria available. Most of them can be a little lacking in flavor, but Madria Sangria is actually quite tasty. To enjoy bottled sangria you kind of have to forget the fact that it isn't freshly made. Appreciate it for what it is. Madria's is refreshingly crisp: good fruity flavor with undertones of red wine---which is exactly what you want. Sangria isn't made with sweet wines, typically--though some places have started making it with champagne and white wines. There's structure to sangria--fresh, sweet flavors that hide a slightly dry taste underneath. You shouldn't be able to taste the alcohol too fully. This one does a nice job of maintaining the structure a good sangria should have.

Final words: I think I'll have another :) If you'd like to try my sangria recipe, go here: http://roxycape.blogspot.com/2009/04/hazlit-vineyards-red-cat-zinfandel-5.html

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I found Madria Sangria last month at a little grocery store here in San Diego. Wow, I am impressed with the fact that it is from a bottle. We have a nice little tapas restaurant down the road, and of course they have the best Sangria, but if you want a nice refreshing drink without the time to make your own...Madria is great. Went back to the store that I got it before, and they have it in the big, liter and 1/2 (I think) bottle, now. Add some cut up fruit, and there you go. The fruit tastes great after sitting in it for a bit, especially overnight.

In fact, I am enjoying a nice glass of it right now.

The Gourmez said...

I quoted your thoughts on this wine on my blog today. As much as I was shocked to discover it, it's pretty good for a premixed Sangria. Do you have other ones you'd recommend?