Monday, June 29, 2009

Little Penguin - Merlot @@@ (3 corks)

Retails: ? (gift)

I'm thoroughly enjoying the fact that since I've launched my blog I've been gifted no fewer than three bottles under $10. I'm thrilled to have material to write about but I can't help but wonder--are my friends and family thoughtful...or just plain cheap? :) There's also many more questions that arise about whether I'm gifted bottles of wine because my people think I'm in a wino but that's for an entirely different conversation.

This past weekend I had an old friend visiting me. To make a long story short she screwed up and in an effort to apologize, gifted me TWO bottles of wine--one expensive and one I could blog about. The Little Penguin was, obviously, the blog-worthy wine.

As many of you have probably realized, Australia has become quite the exporter of inexpensive brands. Some, of course, are better than others. I'm not much of a fan of Yellow Tail but Little Penguin makes the cut. Very drinkable, smooth berry flavor with a hint of dryness. Even after being uncorked for a day or two, it still holds up in flavor. I wouldn't say it's an incredible buy, but it's definitely not half bad.

So, cheers to friendship--nay, family--who can forgive the errors in each others' ways. I drink to you, my dear friend. Thanks for the cheap hooch.

0 comments: