Monday, August 31, 2009

Spier - Pinotage/Shiraz (2008) @@@@ (4 corks)

Retails: $6.99 (Total Wine)

I hate Miami.

In the past year I've been to Miami no fewer than five times, all for work purposes, and every time I find it repulsive. Most people would clamor for the opportunity to spend time in this glistening land of fake boobs, money and never-ending parties...not me. Yet, every time I go, I psych myself up for a "fun" time that never ends up happening. This past week I found myself at the current "it" spot, the Fontainebleau, for a conference. Yes, in these economic times, I was sent to a five-star resort in Miami. Don't even get me started on that bit of hypocrisy...

Anyhow, so in this plasticine land, I was holed up in a 5-star hotel where security guards tell you not to take photos for fear of "disturbing the guests..." as if every over-paid celebrity/doctor/poseur was not there to see and be seen...where a glass of wine costs no less than $13. A. GLASS.

I arrived at 8pm on a Saturday at the Fontainebleau. The gliteratti were just starting to filter in

It's not that I hate big cities... I love Boston, love Paris, love London, love San Antonio, (hate NYC)...I hate feeling like I have to be someone else in order to enjoy my time there. So, you can imagine my happiness when I made the 4-hour trek home where I could enjoy my BOTTLE of wine---priced well below $13.

I digress...so Spier's Pinotage/Shiraz is excellent. Full fruit flavors subtly engulf your tongue, leaving a nice, dry finish that's not overpowering. Swishing the wine in your mouth, you'll discover a lovely, spicy taste in your cheeks. One must never forget to 'swish.'

0 comments: