Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Barefoot - Shiraz @@@ (3 corks)

Retails: $5.99 (Total Wine)

I've been meaning to write about this one for some time. As usual, Barefoot delivers a totally drinkable wine for just shy of $6. Sure, I'm only giving it 3 corks, but 1) I'm not much of a Shiraz drinker and 2) 3 corks isn't a bad rating especially when you consider the price (I mean c'mon, $6?! One glass of wine is $6 at any given restaurant!) I would say it's the perfect wine to bring to a party because it's not overpowering in any one direction. It has a slight sweetness and finishes slightly dry, any red wine drinker would be content with it.

Over New Years this past year, my fiance and I were up in Quebec City celebrating both our engagement and the New Year with my French-Canadian family. We were invited to my Aunt's house for New Years Eve in Lac Beauport, a country-side suburb of centre-ville Quebec City. I went to the local SAQ to purchase a bottle for the occasion. For some crazy reason, true liquor stores--outlets that serve more than just beer (the national beverage of Canada)--are scarce and as far as I know, SAQ (Societe Alcoholise de Quebec) is the only one that sells full liquor and wine. I was astounded by the prices on alcohol! I didn't find a single bottle of wine under $12 Canadian (which at the time, was about equal in value to the American dollar). I actually ended up purchasing this same Shiraz for the occasion which sold at an astonishing $12.95 plus tax!

Nevertheless, Barefoot Shiraz was well-received, even amongst an assortment of far more expensive wines. Many party-goers commented that it had a very lovely but unobtrusive flavor that complemented the evening's offerings. In fact, we actually dined on raclette--- a Swiss tradition, similar in its communal nature to fondue, wherein an assortment of raw meats is offered (we had everything from chicken to emu and salmon) and a large indoor grill is placed in the middle of the table where people are to cook their selected meats. Underneath the grill, a special kind of cheese is melted (also called raclette) to pour over your meats after cooking.

It was an incredible meal, a fit beginning to 2010. And, Barefoot's Shiraz was present to complement the occasion.

0 comments: