Thursday, April 1, 2010

Pepperwood - Old Vine Red Zinfandel @@@@ (4 corks)

Retails: $4.99 (Total Wine)

Pepperwood's Old Vine Red Zinfandel tastes like a film noir---dark, mysterious, smoke-y. As far as Red Zins are concerned, this one has a particularly unusual flavor that I find really intriguing--existential even. I'm sure Albert Camus would approve.

Like most Red Zins, this beauty packs a powerful aroma and a full-bodied, savory flavor. This is a wine best served solo or with an accompanying appetizer, perhaps some sinfully rich dark chocolate or some mild cheese--and, of course, plenty of l'amour. As my friend, Amon Focus would say, this is a wine to truly knock the pants, urm I mean socks, off someone. I would call it a "Valentine's Day" red --- if you're on a first date with someone who you know enjoys a robust red, you're likely going to hit it off if you serve this one up. Bonus: if this is a first date, you won't be dropping beaucoup-bucks trying to impress him/her either.

For true red wine drinkers, this red won't disappoint. I love a powerful red wine, one that completely embodies all senses--that softening of the world's edges, that tantilizing fragrance wafting from your glass, the lingering oak flavor on your tongue. This wine satisfies all of that criteria. What I find particularly interesting is the strong oak flavor present in this Zinfandel--there is hardly any fruit flavor.

Drink up and enjoy, my friends, for this bottle's under $5--heck, buy 2!

0 comments: