Monday, March 7, 2011

Yellowtail - Shiraz-Cabernet @@@ (3 corks)

Retails: $6.99 (Wal-Mart)

I'm apologizing in advance for the severe lack of posts over the past 4 MONTHS. Holy crap, where did the time go ?

Thankfully, this week, my HUSBAND and I (yes, it's still fun to say 4 months later), have been awarded a kid-free week, thereby affording me some free time with which to reconnect with my beloved wine blog. You see, in this period of adjustment between having the kids full-time, getting married, going on a honeymoon, moving, the holidays, work shenanigans and, um, LIFE in general, there has been little time for the blog. Sorry, blog, won't happen again.

To the wine!

Yellowtail is one of the inexpensive Australian brands that I have woefully neglected in the past couple of years. It's not because I don't have a love for the Yellowtail, I think I just equated it with, if there is such a thing, a wine cliche. You see, back when I first began drinking wine (legally) during senior year of college, every Thursday evening after classes, the members of my "house" at Smith College would get together, drink wine and eat cheese. Yes, I realize that living in a dormitory called a "house" at a women's college and drinking wine and eating cheese are all rather elitist cliches in and of themselves. But, please, allow me to continue the story...

So, every Thursday, a different set of girls would be responsible for the wine and cheese. Given that all of us were fully enrolled in college and um, broke, Yellowtail was a frequent guest at our Thursday evening soirees. Perhaps, you could say, I had been a little tired of Yellowtail and avoided it in order to regain an appreciation for it. Yellowtail is predictably affordable and predictably good. Definitely a solid staple-wine to have around for the unexpected visitors or after work relax-o-glass (yes, I'm coining that term).

Full-bodied, definitely requires ample time to breathe to achieve its full potential. The Shiraz-Cabernet blend exhibits characteristics of both grapes, fruit flavors from the Shiraz, hearty oak and tannins from the Cabernet. Plenty of flavor and a nice dry finish make this Yellowtail blend a solid red wine.

So, friends, my apologies again for the lack of updates and wine critiques, but I've been a tad busy you could say what with the kids moving in, court battles, moving into a house, the holidays, the crazy production schedule at work and well, the um...

0 comments: